Achieving Best Evidence in Criminal Proceedings (ABE) in Children’s Services
Our acclaimed Achieving Best Evidence Training (ABE) has differing options tailored exactly to meet a customer’s requirements. This is a highly specialised, intensive course that complies with current ABE legal requirements.
The Ministry of Justice’s guidance, ‘Achieving Best Evidence in Criminal Proceedings’ is clear: “Provided both the police officer and social worker have been adequately trained to interview child witnesses in accordance with the guidance set out in this document, there is no reason why either should not lead the interview”. Our training maintains the child-centred approach to safeguarding – endorsed again within the guidance: “The decision as to who leads the interview should depend on who is able to establish the best rapport with the child”. Many of our trainers’ delegates have said how beneficial (if not essential) this training is in their day-to-day interactions with children and young people as well as making a significant contribution to their Section 47 enquiries
Options available include:
- A 4 or 5 day intensive course for Social Workers with limited exposure to ABE. Both courses consist of 2 days theory, 2 days practice and on a 5 day model a visit and practice session at a local interview suite (where possible)
This is a course that has a major impact on our delegates and the importance of selecting the right course is paramount. For all training that includes practice, we utilize highly skilled Adult Actors who play the parts of both vulnerable Adults and Children in differing scenarios. The importance of equipping Social Workers with all the correct tools and skills cannot be stressed enough and their potential victims deserve the best level of ABE interviewing possible!
Not sure what ABE course you might need?
Don’t worry. We are able to set up a direct phone call or Skype with our lead ABE trainer to discuss your requirements and the development of your bespoke ABE course. This service is provided free of charge. Please contact us here to arrange your free call.
Who is the course aimed at?
-Experienced Social Workers who have undertaken training in child (or Adult) protection, including sexual abuse and who wish to undertake video interviews with children and young people (or vulnerable adults) for court
-Social Workers and Police Officers who need to interview vulnerable child witnesses
-Social Workers who wish to refresh their knowledge and skills using ABE
-Social Workers and other professionals who may need to undertake assessment interviews
How long is the course?
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:-
- Demonstrate the ability to lead an interview whilst securing court-grade information using the four-phased interview model (as advocated within the “Achieving Best Evidence …” guidance)
- Demonstrate the ability to be the second-interviewer and take notes during an interview
- Define a Vulnerable and an Intimidated victim/witness
- List and explain (in context) the Special Measures that vulnerable and Intimidated witnesses are eligible for
- State the preferred hierarchy of questions (as advocated).
- State the advantages (and possible disadvantages), and give examples of the four preferred question types.
- Explain the contribution that a Registered Intermediary can make when communicating with some interviewees
- Demonstrate the ability to comply with the guidance at the point of ‘initial contact’ with a potentially vulnerable of intimidated victim / witness
- Develop and execute strategies for dealing with difficult situations that may occur during interviews
- Explain (and experience) how fragile the memory is and how we, as interviewers can influence an interviewee’s recall
- Explain the difference between recollection and recognition
- Explain the contribution that Sexual Assault Referral Centres and their staff can make in relevant enquiries.
Open Access 2021/22
We have limited spaces available on 5 day ABE courses in September 2021 (w/c 20/09/21 2 spaces remaining) and November (22/11/2021) The cost is £650 plus VAT per delegate (payable in advance).
Please complete the form below to book your place.
“This course was brilliant! I learnt so much which I feel will make me more confident in my practice doing general visits, S47 visits and ABEs. Tim was flexible, knowledgeable and brilliant! Thank you” – Social Worker, Dudley
“This course should be available to ALL social workers” – Social Worker, Northamptonshire