OverviewTo raise awareness of and begin to develop strategies for safeguarding children and young people with disabilities.
Who is Working with Children with Disabilities and Direct Work aimed at?Childrens social care staff
Course Length1 day
By the end of the day participants will be able to:-
- Describe the barriers to safeguarding disabled children.
- Describe what makes disabled children and young people more vulnerable to abuse.
- Describe the impact of abuse on the disabled child’s and young person’s development and care.
- Describe the specific difficulties that children and young people with disabilities may have in communicating what they are experiencing.
- Assess risk when protecting disabled children and young peoplefrom harm and separate issues relating to their specific disability and the role of their carer from child protection and welfare issues.