This 1-day course will explore how to work with black, Asian and Ethnic minority children and families
Who is Working with BAME Children and Families aimed at?
Newly Qualified Social Workers and qualified SW's
The course will cover:-
- Explore what we mean by cultural sensitivity
– particular focus on south-asian culture and religion
- Why is it important for safeguarding professionals to understand the culture of the service users they work with in order to build effective practice?
– Eurocentric practice, professional bias, case studies on extremism and CSE
- What fears and stereotypes do professionals have when working with ethnic groups and religions?
– Narratives vs evidence bases
– ‘deep dive’ izzat, sharam, Qaum, Beraderi,
– unpacking south-asian cultural archetypes and effects on practice.
– individualism vs collectivism
-pinto vs malsow
- How can we differentiate between a cultural issue and safeguarding issue?
– Real case study – blackmagic, spirits, social workers and safeguarding!
– reflections on practice and toolkits for NQSWs