OverviewThis two-day course will provide participants with the opportunity to develop their skills and knowledge when working with adults who have learning disabilities. Through a blended learning approach including seminar sessions, group work and case studies and examples participants will explore the key themes and areas in order to increase their confidence in this field of work. This course will equip participants with the knowledge and skills, to work effectively and confidently with Adults who have learning disabilities.
Who is Working with Adults with Learning Disabilities aimed at?Adult Social care staff
Course Length2 days
Participants will have been given the opportunity to:-
- Understand how a learning disability is diagnosed
- Explore the implications of the Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards for people who have learning disabilities
- Familiarise themselves with the various tools available to facilitate communication with people who have learning disabilities
- Identify ways in which people who have learning disabilities can be encouraged to make choices which develop their self-reliance and independence
- Understand the link between associated conditions relating to health and learning disabilities
- Consider how best to support older people with a learning disability including palliative care
- Increase their knowledge of local sources of advice, information and support.