OverviewThis course aims to develop practitioners’ knowledge and understanding of parenting assessments
Who is Parenting Assessments aimed at?Children's Social Workers and staff who may undertake parenting assessments
Course Length1 day
On completition of the course, participants will:-
- Understand the importance of timely parenting assessments and incorporate this within the proceedings process where necessary.
- Consider effective tools and frameworks for conducting parenting assessments.
- Consider how to conduct these sensitive assessments in partnership with parents - whilst taking a child-focused approach.
- Consider how to use a multi-agency approach.
- Consider the impact of domestic abuse, parental learning disability, substance misuse and parental mental ill health on parents’ capacity to meet a child’s needs.
- Consider the use of the Signs of Safety methodology (if appropriate) and scaling with parents.
- Understand the importance of a culturally sensitive approach.
- Consider how past history, lifestyle and behaviour can impact on parents’ capacity and risks to any child now and in the future.
- Making sense of the assessment using analytical tools.