OverviewWorking with clients or patients at risk of self-harm or attempted suicide by means of hanging or strangulation requires specific skills to enable care workers to respond appropriately. Those ‘first on scene’ need to know how to remove a ligature safely using ligature cutters as well as basic first aid which may be required This Ligature Training course provides these skills, as well as giving an overview of the physiological effects of strangulation by ligature, with an explanation of the possible types of ligature that might be used as well as explaining policies and procedures in the organisation. There is an opportunity for participants to practise techniques.
Who is Ligature Training aimed at?Staff working with those who are at risk of self-harm or attempted suicide by means of hanging or strangulation.
Course Lengtha half day (classroom or online)
On completion of the course participants will:-
- Understand the physiological effects of strangulation by ligature.
- Have knowledge of some of the possible types of ligature that might be used.
- Understand policies and procedures in your organisation.
- Know what Immediate Actions to take as ‘first on scene’
- Know how to remove a ligature safely using ligature cutters
- Know what basic first aid may be required?
- Have had an opportunity to practise techniques.