OverviewThis course is designed to support staff working in community settings caring for palliative patients and those requiring end of life care. It will cover holistic assessment of physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs and consider the balance between potential benefit and burden of treatment. Symptom management to optimize quality of life and the need for clear, honest communication will be shared.
Who is End of Life/ Palliative Care half day aimed at?Health & Care staff providing personal care beyond hospital settings
Course Length1 day
On completion of the course, participants will understand:
- The definition palliative, terminal & end of life care and the overlap
- The 5 principles of palliative care
- Introductory aspects of The Gold Standards Framework for Palliative Care
- Advanced Care Planning & End of Life Care Planning & the ReSPECT process
- How Better Support People to Die Well
- NHS England’s Six Ambitions for Palliative & End of Life Care
- Through Community Case Studies the approach to care
- Holistic person-centred care – considering spiritual, psychological and socio-economic and cultural needs.
- Communication with patients and those important to them
- Common symptoms of terminal patients management & support
- Attention to detail in attending to patient & family needs
- Coping strategies for care of the dying, bereavement & support