Building on the Department of Health’s National Dementia Strategy and subsequent documents, this course aims to prepare people who already have a basic knowledge of Dementia Care how to be a local Dementia Champion.
Who is Dementia Champions aimed at?
Social Workers and Social Work Students, Health Assistants, Occupational Therapists and OT Students, Medical Students, Radiographers, Physiotherapists, Paramedics, Social Care Workers, Nurses and Student Nurses
On completion of the course, participants will be able;
– to outline the scope of Dementia in the UK and the current position
– to introduce awareness of the 17 Objectives of the National Dementia Strategy
– to introduce the link to the qualifications in Health & Social Care and the role of the Dementia Pathway through the Diploma
– Apply the Strategic Objectives of the National Dementia Strategy in their own workplace
– Determine what their own learning style is and how to assess the learning styles of the people they are training.
– Assess the needs and preferences of people living with dementia
– Offer support, advice and guidance to those people who care for people with dementia whether they are friends, carers or family
– Teach the fundamental of a Person-Centred Approach to working with people with dementia, their friends and family
– Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with the person with dementia at the hub for a range of professional interventions