A succession of public reports, most recently in Rotherham and Oxford have highlighted the lack of communication between vulnerable children and professionals who are tasked with safeguarding them. Positive communication with children and young people is critical and Talking Life’s expert team in this area has extensive experience of listening and responding to LAC, socially excluded and children and young people at risk, both through case work and group work settings. Their specially created training courses have been successful in enabling a range of social care professionals to hone their skills in communicating with children and young people.
Who is Child Centred Communication with Children & Young People aimed at?
All professionals working with children and young people who need to develop skills in communication
At the end of the course participants will have:
- A shared understanding of the value base, process and approach that informs effective communication with children and young people in a child centered manner.
- An understanding and working knowledge of the legislation, policy guidance, research and lessons learned both best practice and from serious case reviews that inform and direct this area work.
- An increased awareness and understanding of building and maintaining positive working relationships with children and young people; in order for workers to develop their skills and confidence to communicate and carry out direct and wishes and feelings work with children and young people including those with presenting disability.
- Explored the challenges, conflicts and outcomes of this approach, that includes an understanding of approaches to complaints and working with LAC.
- Identification and development of a workers listening Tool kit which the practitioner can draw upon in practice to support effective communication and maintain positive working relationships with children and young people.
- An increased understanding of how to incorporate the wishes and feelings of children in to assessments and care plans