Learning Disability Awareness
Learning Disability problems affect around 1.5 million people across the UK. but having a better understanding and awareness of different learning disabilities and how they affect individuals is an important part of working within this area.
Who is the Course aimed at?
Practitioners and frontline staff and others who come into contact with people with a Learning Disability
How Long is the Course?
By the end of the workshop delegates will:
- Understand how the Brain works, the role of neurotransmitters and how this can be affected with people with a learning disability
- Understand what constitutes a learning disability/difficulty, and how it is diagnosed
- Have a basic understanding of different learning disabilities
- Understand what does a Learning Disability mean to the individual?
- Understand the differences and links between Learning Disabilities and Mental Disorders
- Know what causes a Learning Disability?
- Have an appreciation of some other conditions that are often associated with learning disabilities/difficulties such as Down’s Syndrome
- Be aware of empowerment and positive risk taking in People with Learning Disabilities
- Be able to describe the effects of legislation, institutionalisation, and labelling
- Understand about working with people with a Learning Disability
- Understand Challenging behaviour and Learning Disability
- Understand Managing challenging behaviour in Learning Disabilities
- Explore methods of communicating effectively with people who have learning disabilities/difficulties
- Understand the importance of Care planning in empowering people with learning disabilities
- Have an awareness of the MCA and assessing capacity, Best interest decisions
- Understand MCA Assessment and evidencing the use of a balance sheet approach
- Demonstrate the empathic and non-judgemental approach required when supporting individuals with their Learning Disability