Working with BME Children and Families
How long is the Course?
Who is the Course Aimed at?
Newly Qualified Social Workers
Explore what we mean by cultural sensitivity
– particular focus on south-asian culture and religion
Why is it important for safeguarding professionals to understand the culture of the service users they work with in order to build effective practice?
– Eurocentric practice, professional bias, case studies on extremism and CSE
What fears and stereotypes do professionals have when working with ethnic groups and religions?
– Narratives vs evidence bases
– ‘deep dive’ izzat, sharam, Qaum, Beraderi,
– unpacking south-asian cultural archetypes and effects on practice.
– individualism vs collectivism
-pinto vs malsow
How can we differentiate between a cultural issue and safeguarding issue?
– Real case study – blackmagic, spirits, social workers and safeguarding!
– reflections on practice and toolkits for NQSWs