Supervision: Core Skills for Supervisors
Supervision is integral to the delivery of high quality practice and that the development of effective relationships between supervisors and supervisees throughout the system is fundamental to improving outcomes for service users. There is accumulating evidence from research and practice of the importance of supervision. Studies have shown that good supervision is associated with job satisfaction, commitment to the organisation, staff retention and employees’ perceptions of the support they receive from their employers. It is strongly recommended that supervisors develop their supervision practice further through practice and further learning opportunities. In addition, employers need a forum where the quality of practice can be scrutinised, staff’s development needs explored and workers given the opportunity to:
- Explore the emotional impact of the work.
- Manage anxiety.
- Consider how their own biases and beliefs may be affecting practice.
- Reflect on the dynamic of the interaction between themselves and those using services.
- Develop their own interpersonal skills.
- Use their intellectual capabilities to form professional judgements, decisions and plans
How Long is the Course?
Who is the Course Aimed at?
Participants will be offered the opportunity to:
- Understand what constitutes effective supervision and its relationship to safe practice and positive outcomes for service users
- Consider the 4x4x4 (integrated) model of supervision and how it can assist in understanding the functions of supervision and its impact of supervision on others within the system
- Consider how past experience of supervision can impact on the supervisory relationship
- Understand the importance of developing and reviewing the supervisory relationship and the role of the agreement in promoting anti oppressive practice within supervision
- Consider the role of supervision throughout the stages of professional development from newly qualified to experienced practitioner
- Understand the importance of recording supervision
- Understand the importance of the authoritative supervisory style in promoting good outcomes through supervision
- Use the supervision cycle, and understand how it can be used as a model to facilitate effective supervision
- Consider the impact of anxiety and how emotions may impact on staff, critical thinking and decision making.