Sanctions, Rewards and the Promotion of Positive Behaviour
Children flourish in an inclusive environment where they feel valued and respected, happy, safe and secure. It is also important that each child is treated fairly with positive reinforcement. In order to achieve this atmosphere, children need to be given clear, consistent boundaries and guidelines of acceptable behaviours, appropriate to the child’s stage of development and individual needs. Furthermore positive behaviours must be acknowledged and appropriately rewarded. In this session we will consider the setting of guidelines and boundaries along with realistic sanctions and rewards for a variety of situations along with how these can be adapted depending upon a child’s capabilities.
Who is the course Aimed at?
Children’s SC Staff
How long is the course?
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
– Identify behaviours they find to be challenging
– Acknowledge the function of behaviours and what the child may be trying to communicate through their behaviours
– Describe how to create clear and realistic boundaries and guidelines
– Explain how to convey boundaries and guidelines to a child
– Discuss the importance of managing our own emotional state when applying sanctions
– Detail how to reward positive behaviours and increase the likelihood of these behaviours being repeated
– Highlight what we can do to ensure consistency in the application of sanctions and rewards