Strength Based Approaches
The strengths or asset based approach, which is mandated in the Care Act, is about focusing on what a person can do, rather than what they cannot do, it is a move away from considering needs to explore and maximise the person’s skills, relationships and resources. Engaging with the person at the centre, the practitioner’s role is to support the person to make the best decisions for them. It involves mapping what is available in the community and tapping into universal services to find what is right for the person.
The Care Act also highlights the importance of an individual defining their own personal outcomes related to what is important to them. These are distinct from eligibility outcomes defined under the Act.
This one day course looks at how the subject of supporting a person to define and record their outcomes during an assessment is done and how to adopt the strengths based approach by changing the questions asked. Examples and case studies from other authorities will be presented, using materials from SCIE. The course will explore the 3 conversations approach developed by Partners4Change and will provide a list of 50 potential questions for practitioners to consider and to adapt to their own practice.
Who is the Course aimed at?
Staff working in Adult Social Care
How long is the Course?
What will you learn?
By the end of this one day programme, delegates will:
- Be able to define a strengths based approach, its values, importance and benefits
- Know what the Care Act states about the strengths based approach
- Understand the difference between personal and eligibility outcomes
- Support an individual to define their own outcomes, preferably at the start of an assessment
- Feel confident in using the approach and focusing on the person’s skills and strengths, prior to considering their needs
- Understand the approach in relation to risk assessment and mental capacity
- Explore with the person what is available for them in their community
- Adapt and test out a strengths based list of questions to suit their own practice
- Know how to use this approach throughout the customer journey
“A fantastic, engaging, approachable trainer with lots of enthusiasm. I feel empowered by the knowledge gained today”
“Really useful and informative and easy to apply to practice now”
“We have used the company Talking Life to deliver Strength Based Assessment and Outcome Focused Care Planning training and Having Different Conversations training to our Social Work and Reablement staff during 2018/19.
We can say that it has been a pleasure working with them. The trainers were both very knowledgeable and have delivered a good standard of training to our staff. Due to the training received, we have achieved the agreed outcomes and staff have embedded learning into practice.
The management of the programme has been very diligent which ensured the smooth running of the programme. We appreciate the mid-point and final reviews of courses which were factored in by the company as this allowed for effective monitoring of progress and enabled us to address any issues.
We would highly recommend this company as they are very professional and both trainers genuinely have a desire to see a high standard of learning and development of social work staff.”
Linda Francis: learning and Delivery Manager, Sandwell Council
To view or download a course programme click here