Learning Difficulty/Disability Awareness
This course is for individuals who want to ensure they can identify someone with a learning disability/difficulty and support them accordingly.
Who is the Course aimed at?
Practitioners and frontline staff
By the end of the course participants should be able to:
- Outline what constitutes a learning disability/difficulty, and how it is diagnosed
- Show a basic understanding of specific syndromes and behavioural conditions that result in learning disabilities (e.g. Down Syndrome, Autism)
- Have an appreciation of some other conditions that are often associated with learning disabilities/difficulties, e.g. challenging behaviour and epilepsy
- Describe the effects of legislation, institutionalisation and labelling for people with learning disabilities
- Explore methods of communicating effectively with people who have learning disabilities/difficulties, including those who have little or no verbal communication
- Outline the importance of appropriate boundaries when working with service users with learning disabilities/difficulties
“Excellent facilitation by Gerry, very engaging training, good discussion and stimulating audio visual media. Thanks!”
To Download the course outline click here