The internet and social media has a significant influence upon the lives of children and young people, directly and indirectly impacting upon nearly every aspect of their lives. This influence has the potential to be extremely positive, providing an essential tool for learning, building relationships and helping them find their place in the world. However there is a negative and potentially dangerous side to the internet and social media which can cause more harm than good. This training addresses what can be done by those working with children to enhance the child or young person’s experience whilst protecting them from the negative aspects the internet offers.
Who is the Course aimed at?
Anyone working with children and young people including Foster Carers, Care Workers, Teachers etc.
How long is the Course?
1 day (can be adapted for Foster Carer training)
What will you learn?
On completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Use parental controls to limit internet access
- Help children and young people to understand the risks of sharing personal information and images online
- Highlight the risks of online grooming
- Identify when cyber bulling may be happening and how to help if a child or young person in your care is being bullied online
- Consider the risks associated with smartphone applications (apps) and online gaming
- Recognise the general signs and impact of improper internet use
To view a downloadable course outline click here