Continuing Health Care
Continuing Care is care provided over an extended period to an adult to meet a person’s physical and mental health needs due to disability, accident or illness. An individual who needs continuing care may require services from NHS bodies and/or Local Authorities. Where it has been assessed that the individual’s primary need is a health need, which can be provided in any setting, a complete package of on-going care is arranged and funded solely by the NHS.
The eligibility for NHS Continuing Health Care is based on an individual’s assessed health needs and is not disease specific. Where a person has some needs requiring a health intervention and others requiring a social care solution, a split package of care can be arranged.
The aim of this one day course is to increase knowledge of the various components of the CHC assessment process from the completion of the CHC checklist, the Health Needs Assessment and the Decision Support Tool to enable all practitioners involved to confidently arrive at a joint decision.
This topic has received considerable media attention both in the press and in television programmes due to discrepancies in the application of CHC and difficulties in obtaining CHC in cases where it is clearly appropriate.
Who is the course aimed at?
Social work practitioners and CHC assessors,
How long is the course?
What will you learn?
By the end of this one day programme, delegates will:
- Be able to apply sound and consistent practice and standards across the local and health authority
- Consider and build up supporting evidence from the practitioner assessment stage onwards
- Feel confident in putting forward their own professional opinion
- Have an increased knowledge of the CHC Checklist, the relevant Health Needs Assessment used and the Decision Support Tool to arrive at a joint decision
- Understand and use the local and health authority NHS CHC Joint Funding policy (where this exists)
- Know when and which cases require escalation to a line manager
“Thoroughly enjoyed this session; trainer excellent”
To download a printable course outline click here