Communicating with Children & Young People
Being able to support children and young people in talking about their feelings and experiences is an important part of being a foster carer. This course shows you how to use communication techniques that work by utilising basic counselling skills.
How long is the Course?
9a.m. – 2p.m.
By the end of the course, participants will have:
- Revisited boundary setting with children and young people using a structured approach
- Considered own understanding of communication and how you are communicating with children and young people as this will differ from communicating with adults
- Considered how to use basic counselling skills in talking with children and young people
- Explored the impact of attachment-driven responses in change work and in ability of children and young people to understand and change behaviours
- Practised using questioning techniques to help children and young people to explore their situation and feelings